Day 3: Big Bear in Morrisville, Pennsylvania


My next stop was Big Bear Natural Foods in Morrisville; one of four in a small chain of family-owned stores around the Pennsylvania/New Jersey border.  This one is located conveniently (for a car haha) right off of US-1 and is a great choice for travelers headed south from the New York/New Jersey metro area.

I arrived just as some heavy rain came rolling in and the incredibly friendly staff had no trouble with me stashing my bicycle inside as Big Bear really embodies their namesake; the store was so much larger and wide open then I had expected! Coming from New York, I'm much more accustomed to the old "hole in the wall" health food stores of yore, but Big Bear was much more spacious and that made for a more enjoyable shopping experience as I could stretch out and wander through the wide aisles, perusing their selection.




A selection that truly satisfies the needs of any natural food junky! These guys are definitely on top of the latest trends in the health food industry as their shelves included many of the more cutting edge products out there; coconut-based kefirs and wraps, paleo-friendly condiments, gourmet oils, plenty of choices for alternative sweeteners, and  a wide variety of high-quality superfoods.

But one of the first things that hit me - and in my opinion one of the more important - was their bulk dried fruits, muts, seeds, etc. section. These are some major staples in my diet and I believe they are a big cornerstone in anyone's healthy lifestyle.  Upon entering the store, I found a nice big wall stocked with all of my favorite choices and I could easily tell that this would be my prime stop if I lived in the Morrisville area. It's too bad I didn't have the time to check out their other locations in Pennington, Lambertville, and Ewing, New Jersey.

Another important cornerstone is that of fresh fruits and vegetables. While this Big Bear location did not have an epic produce spread, they did carry all the core items - 100% organic, of course - and utilized them in their juice bar and prepared foods. Thur juices are stellar! I got an awesome Apple Spice which powered up the rest of my day's ride, but what really drove me wild was their prepared Broccoli Bites. They were like mini veggie burgers or falafel with loads of veggies (especially my favorite, broccoli, duh) and a spicy dipping sauce. Super healthy and delicious; I hope they expand that area of the store!

But what I think may have impressed me the most was their large and finely-curated wellness department. Big Bear features some serious space dedicated to vitamins, supplements, and natural health and beauty aides.  Wandering these aisles, I could find all of my favorite brands and products, but most importantly, I found some truly friendly folk who were actively interested in helping me find what was right for me! Ever wander around a big store and feel like no one who works there cares about you or is interested in helping you? Not here. I guess in a way that also connects with Big Bear's namesake; the idea of a warm, friendly, nurturing elder figure.

So if you live near any of Big Bear's four locations, make them your next stop when shopping for just about anything you need. They check all of the marks on your list, have everything at affordable prices, and will be there to serve it all up with a smile. They've been doing this since 1971 and I am sure will be continuing the tradition for decades to come!

Big Bear Natural Foods
925 Lincoln Highway, Morrisville, PA
215-736-0553
www.bigbearnaturalfoods.com










Comments

  1. A note about the produce because this is important: There is a *beyond* "organic" farm (and now 2 farm businesses) literally right up the road, like half a mile away. This store does not buy from them despite the farm's outreach. Owner/manager even asked the farmers "where to find a reliable source for tomatoes because they're just no good in the winter" ...

    Just a little context.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: Leg Up Farmers Market in York, Pennsylvania

Day 4: Kimberton Whole Foods in Douglasville, Pennsylvania